This is my favorite chocolate cake. Perfect for cakes or cupcakes!
– 2 1/2 cups white sugar
– 4 eggs (room temperature)
– 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 cups water
– 1 cup cocoa powder
1. In a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) beat the butter until fluffy.
2. Add the sugar and beat until well combined.
3. Add the eggs 2 at a time and beat until well blended.
4. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
5. Boil 1 cup of the water and transfer to a heat safe mixing bowl. Whisk in the cocoa powder to make sure all lumps are gone. Once whisked, add the other 1 cup water and whisk again.
6. Add the dry in 4 parts and cocoa water in 3 parts starting and ending with dry.
7. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl if using a stand mixer.
8. Give it one last good mix and you’re ready to go.
Bake at 350 degrees
This amount will make – Bake for corresponding minutes:
30 regular sized cupcakes – 25 minutes
120 mini cupcakes – 17 minutes
2 6″ round cakes (each 2″ tall) – 1 hour 35 minutes
Always make sure to test your cake with a toothpick or skewer. When it comes out clean your cake is ready!
I love how dense this cake is. It’s perfect for making 3D cakes!
Here is my Cake Cheat Sheet for other batter portions: